26 Nov 2014

November 2014 (2)

I re-potted the Dwarf Hamlin Orange (right) and the Dwarf Mayer Lemon (centre) in early spring this year into new Fruit Tree Ecobeds.  The Lemon had previously been re-potted twice in recent years and was looking rather sorry for itself.

Whilst still ugly, it has responded very well and I am now sure it will make a full recovery.

Ecobeds provide a great nurturing environment for vulnerable plants with their constant supply of moisture and their very rich organic soil.

2 comments:

  1. Could other plants be planted along with the fruit tree in this ecobed? I'm thinking in terms of like companion planting (to help deter pests or help with pollination and fertilizing) or forest guild (on a much smaller scale of course). If so, about how many plants could be added?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deitra. I hadn't planned to add companion plants in the beds themselves as I have a large bed alongside with a mix of herbs and ornamental plants designed to provide all my Ecobeds with this service. I think a small herb in each corner would be OK, but when fully grown the citrus trees canopy might take too much light. Thanks for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete